Super Robot Wars/Characters/Leona Garstein
Leona appears in the following games:
- Super Robot Wars Alpha - Selectable protagonist, with own unique storyline or secondary character, if selected by the player
- Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation - Non-playable enemy character → Playable character
- Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation 2 - Playable character
- Super Robot Wars Original Generations - Non-playable enemy character → Playable character
- Super Robot Wars Original Generation Gaiden - Playable character
Leona also appears in the animated Super Robot Wars Original Generation: Divine Wars.
- Vanishing Trooper - Used when piloting the Huckebein MK II in Alpha
- Ace Attacker - Used when piloting the Huckebein MK III in Alpha
- Kotetsu no Cockpit (The Steel Cockpit) - Used when piloting the Grungust Type-2 in Alpha
- Ware ni Teki Nashi (None Can Oppose Me) - Used when piloting the RyuKoOh/KoRyuOh in Alpha
- Treue (Loyalty) - Default theme in Original Generations and Original Generation Gaiden
Personality And Traits
18 year-old Leona Garstein is part of the well-known Branstein house, living under its family branch, the Garsteins. A calm, prideful girl, she is raised and educated in the space colonies, eventually joining up with the United Colony Corps. Like her cousin Rai, Leona is an excellent pilot, graduating at the top of her class, and is assigned to the Troye Unit, an elite, all-female mobile space unit charged with protecting the colonies. But unlike many characters, Leona is oddly domineering, mostly towards her boyfriend, Tasuku Shinguji. To him, her attitude seems cold and overbearing, but it's her constant concern for his safety that makes her keep close to him. While her cousin, Elzam von Branstein, is skilled at making gourmet food, ironically, Leona has difficulty in preparing a dish that won't make Tasuku faint after eating it. In fact, the only meal that she can prepare that Tasuku enjoys is porridge.
As with all the protagonists from Super Robot Wars Alpha, Leona is a Psychodriver. However, this is not a major point in the Original Generation story until she receives the Siegerlion, which is equipped with a T-Link System.
Leona appears as a member of the United Colony Corps elite Troye Unit, fighting under her uncle Maier von Branstein and alongside her cousin Elzam, who is recruited into the Divine Crusaders. While she has minor doubts about the methods both forces are taking towards the Earth Federation government, she loyally stands by her family and fights against the Earth Federation Army.
Several times, she is forced into battle against the Hiryu Custom battleship and its crew, where is was repulsed. During the United Colony Corps' drop operation, she is sent away from the Troye Unit, which is destroyed in the ensuring battle against the Hiryu Custom. Finally, in a final mission, after the defeat of the Divine Crusaders and the United Colony Corps, she is thrown into battle against her other cousin, the SRX Team's Raidiese F. Branstein, fully expecting to die in the fight. However, she is also hit upon by a man she fought against several times in battle: the Hiryu Custom's Tasuku Shinguji. Between the two's efforts, she is shot down and captured. Moved by the concern her cousin shows for both her and Elzam, as well as the grief he exhibits over the deaths of his father and sister-in-law, she defects to the Earth Federation Army, fighting alongside the Hagane and Hiryu Custom during the Aerogater invasion.
- In the animated Super Robot Wars Original Generation: Divine Wars, it is Elzam who advises her to defect to the Earth Federation Army, after Divine Crusaders officer, Adler Koch, is killed in action.
At the end of the war, she is asked by Tasuku to join the Octo Squad aboard the Hiryu Custom, which, to his surprise, she accepts. Since then, the two grow closer, to the point where she regularly attempts to make food for him and he diligently works on the designs of her new Siegerlion machine.